Thursday, July 20, 2006

Midsummer's Post

I'm happy to report that I've been admitted to the next step of the Diocesan discernment process for the priesthood. I've begun a six- (or possibly nine-) month internship at Chapel of the Cross. I will be participating in liturgical, educational, administrative, and pastoral aspects of the life of the parish for about twelve hours a week.

Terry and I have gone to their large main Eucharist the past couple of Sundays, and I already like how different from my usual experience it is. I'm used to small, come-as-you-are churches that are a little impromptu and lumpy and where a lot depends on individuals. CotC is large, affluent, and formal, which made me a little apprhensive at first, but the folks I've met are very kind and warm. I'm looking foward to finding my place in this large, thriving community with such a long history.

For those who might be interested in moot points, I got a very respectable score on the April MCAT: 33 (10 Physical Sciences, 11 Biological Sciences, 12 Verbal Reasoning). All together, I scored around the 87th percentile, though my VR was a good bit better than the other sub-tests. My essay was graded a Q, which is definitely respectable but not stellar. It was the best I could do in thirty minutes! My best writing most often requires editing. For now, I'm happy just sticking that experience in my pocket and wondering what I'll do with it. Still, it gives me a nice shot of self-confidence to know that I sat for such a grueling test and was able to perform well.

Why does the summer seem so long to me? Terry and I had a great time last weekend, though, at a swimming hole on the Eno River in Durham. The water was high and cool and delicious. Next time, we have to remember to bring floating devices and lunchables. Still, it was an intoxicatingly fun day. I'm not good at playing, so I rarely make time for it. I'd forgotten how delightful and restful a day of playful activity can be. I've got to make room for more!

No comments: