Thursday, February 16, 2006

Long Hiatus

I'm the world's least faithful blogger! I need to update this more, add content, link to blogs and websites I like. Get it going on!

Just two things today. Lots of change has been roiling in the depths of my life and is now breaking the surface. Though my decision is provisional (as any), I have decided not to apply to medical school. I have had misgivings about a career in medicine for a long time, the most salient being that I don't think it's my vocation. I know it's strange to talk about vocation, but it's the best way I can describe it. As I took classes and got deeper and deeper in to the pre-med world, my original vocation to the ministry began flashing insistently, like a warning light, impossible to ignore. But not threatening. Attractive, incredibly attractive. I began to have serendipitous experiences of joy in liturgy and teaching (e.g. spontaneous weeping for joy--understand, please, I'm not an emotional person--at the end of a St. Gregory's style Morning Prayer at a conference in January). So, I'll be entering the Diocesan Discernment process in the Diocese of North Carolina in the coming months. I know how grueling and unpredictable the ordination process can be, so I'm not putting too many eggs in that basket. But I have positively located what the eggs are in my life: my love for the disciplines and community of faith simply cannot be ignored.

Last word for the day: a sketch of my daily blog-crawl. First, I usually go to Real Live Preacher, whose writing I love. Then, a blast through Dylan Breuer's blog Sarah Laughed. Through RLP, I have also discovered Don't Eat Alone, which I'm really enjoying, especially the recent conversation about chocolate (who knew there are de facto slaves picking cocoa beans in Ivory Coast to make my Hershey's Kisses!?!). As for me and my house, only Fair Trade Chocolate from now on.

1 comment:

don't eat alone said...

Gabriel

Thanks for the mention of my blog, and for your comments there as well. Here's to more faithful blogging.

Peace
Milton