Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Moved!

T and I have sold our house! It was the first house we owned together and served as a wonderful nest for us for almost five years. Still, moving is so stressful! I don't think I'd been this at-my-wits-end since my mother died five years ago and I had the task of emptying her apartment in a month's time. I am still a little dismayed at the amount of stuff that we had accumulated. It happens so imperceptibly, and then suddenly you're surrounded by Tracy Chapman's "mountains o' things" and you have to make it all fit into boxes and you wonder what this thingamabob is and where on earth it came from and why you need it if you had actually completely forgotten you had it! After many (literally dozens) of carloads of stuff to take to the dump or to donate to our local thrift shops, we have pared down our possessions to what will fit in one 10' x 10' storage space. We are crashing for the summer with our old roommate who has gotten a new place and are living out of suitcases mostly with only what might be required for traveling--clothing, toiletries, laptops, a few choice books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing, truly amazing. You are to be congratulated. Wish I'd been around to help... I love sorting other people's stuff... :-)